The run-walk-run cycle is a walking to running program that is often used either by the beginners or someone who is returning to sports due to a long layoff from injury. This walk-run programme is designed to ease you into your former running capacity without risking any chance of injury. If you are training for an upcoming marathon for the first time, then you can definitely incorporate the effective run-walk training. In fact, this training boosts your fitness level, helps you return from any kind of running injury and even recovers your body from an intense workout. Sounds like a perfect training program? Well, let’s run straight into the details of this program.
Know more Here:
The Run-Walk Method
There is a weird feeling about this run-walk method that most of the beginners use. What happens is that most of the professional runners frown upon the concept of this run walk workout. They believe, that to train for running, there is no better way to prepare other than running. Well, the sentiment is understood, but as a beginner, one must use this walking to running method to get familiar with this profession.
The most important thing about any physical form of sport is breathing. So, as a beginner or as a professional, you need to use the walk-run interval training and focus on your increasing your lung capacity for proper breathing too. We have seen till now, that the run-walk method is an appropriate walking to running program for beginners. Now, let us move forward and concentrate on the little details about this training regime.
Principles of Run-Walk Program
Till now we’ve just been introduced to this dynamic walking to running program. Let us now see what guidelines we need to follow in order to include this run-walk method into our running and walking regime. You might want to pay attention now if you didn’t earlier. The few mandatory principles that you must follow goes like this:-
- You must allow your body to go through shorter run segments.
- You must not use a single muscle for a long time. The continuous usage of a single muscle result in quicker fatigue.
- Reduce your core body temperature by drinking water and taking showers.
- You must have the ability to enjoy endorphins.
If you follow the above principles and incorporate the run-walk method, then you are going to have a long career in running.
Rules for Walking to Running Program
Whatever you do, always consult your doctor before embarking on any physical journey. The run walk run method must have the following stages in the form of regular training. The steps are as follows:-
- A 3-minute walk/1- minute run.
- A 2-minute walk/1-minute run.
- A 2-minute walk/2- minute run.
- A 4-minute run /1-minute walk
- A 6-minute run/1-minute walk
- A 7-minute run/1-minute walk
- An 8-minute run/1-minute walk
- A 9-minute run/1-minute walk
- A 7-minute run/45-second walk with 4 strides
- An 8-minute run/45-second walk with 5 strides
- A 9-minute run /45-second walk with 6 strides
Each stage should at least last for a week. A lot depends on how you walk, so always walk with a good arm swing and gait. If you are experiencing pain, then feel free to skip a run but if the pain increases, please consult a doctor.
Walk to Run Program 12 Weeks
Breaks are a must when you are involved in a physical form of sport. It depends on you and how your body can cope with the intensity of this training regimen. Whether you are following this walking to running program or the run-walk method for the marathon, taking a break is necessary.
To come to the point, there isn’t any specific time range to take a break. During your full-fledged running regimen, it is always advised that you take a short 2-minute walk break. The reason being, taking short walk breaks decreases the chance of muscle fatigue and also allows you to control your breathing.
How to Use Walking to Running Program During Races
The run walk run method is frequently used during marathons and races. Till now we have known that this walking to running program for beginners gives the beginners the ability to recover their breath and some time to relax their muscles. According to numerous surveys, this run-walk method will enable you to run 13 minutes faster in a marathon.
Now let us see, how we can incorporate this method during races.
- The run-walk method is simple. Initially, you have to warm up, which is mandatory. Then run for a short segment and take a walk break.
- Set yourself a specific target or goal, and then keep repeating your run-walk pattern until you’ve reached your goal.
- You must start your walk segment before your muscles get fatigued as the whole purpose of this regimen is to avoid muscle fatigue.
- Always keep a timer with you so that you can record your timings.
- For your walking portions, make sure it isn’t a leisurely stroll.
- Always re-hydrate yourself and use your breathing as your guide during the running segments.
In order to follow these steps, initially, you will face some troubles as your speeds won’t reach a high mark. So, you need to maintain a walk workout plan (to maintain your walk and your running posture) and a walk jog run workout method as a part of your training.
Pre-Requisites for this Schedule
Whether you are a beginner or a pro at this sport, any form of running would require
This walking to the running program is no different from the other methods. In addition, you would require an extreme amount of patience if you are following this particular regimen. Initially, you won’t be able to hit your strides as fast as you would want. You need to tell yourself that this method will prove beneficial in the long run. You can get creative and improvise by following a run-walk half marathon method, once you get comfortable.
How to Design Your Workout
Runners are athletes who maintain a slim look. Well, obviously, the lighter you weigh the faster you would run. Have you ever seen any runner having a jacked up body? Usually not! As runners, your entire focus should be on your lower body but then again you cannot neglect your upper body. Apart from the walk-run interval training, there are few exercises that you should do while working out.
- Warming up is always necessary. You can do some free-hand exercises or just jog for a couple of minutes.
- Follow that up with some on spot jogging for 5-minutes and skipping.
- Always try to include HIIT training program in your schedule.
- After some HIIT you can indulge in your usual run-walk method and also incorporate some walk-jog-run workout.
- Your diet is also an integral part of your profession. A balanced diet filled with iron-rich foods, protein foods, and a disciplined life will always propel you faster towards your destination.
If you are recently nursing an injury and you feel that you have accumulated some fat in your belly region then you can use a separate run-walk program for weight loss with lower intensity.
Tips for a Smooth Training Workout
There are some tips that you can follow in order to go through a smooth workout session.
- Warm up at the beginning and cool down at the end.
- Pay attention to your breathing during workouts.
- Workout in a rhythm.
- Include a walking regimen in your workout. Make sure you have proper walking and running interval.
- Stick with your routine, don’t change anything abruptly.
- Last but certainly not the least; drink water and keep yourself rehydrated.
Let’s Wrap it Up!
Now, we have all seen how this walking to running program can build you up for the real task at hand. Whether you are a newbie or a pro, this run-walk method will really be beneficial for you in achieving your desired results. Make sure you are eating right, working out in the safest manner, keeping yourself re-hydrated and most importantly you need to have a good pair of shoes. Never fail to include this walk run interval training.