There are a lot of concepts to opt in order to maintain fitness. Those who are fitness fanatics, never hesitate to try new things. Among all kinds of exercise, running is probably the simplest one that all can practice. Running on the beach is something pretty interesting in this regard. Being a fitness enthusiast, if you are hoping to give your exercise regime a great new dose, you can try beach running workouts.
Beach running is great in a word. There are a lot of benefits of having a daily run on a beach. Working out and running on dry sand is not that easy. But it helps immensely to those who practice the same. The certain practice can enhance your running skill and help you building core muscles. It can enhance your strength. The certain practice can get you a lot of other benefits. To know more about beach running and workouts in details, let's get straight to the post.
Know More Here:
Tips for Running on the Beach
Find out the best ways to run like a pro on the beach:
Tip #1 Choose the Beach First
Not all the beaches are ideal for practicing sand fitness. If your chosen beach is not up to the mark, your workout regime will turn into a complete failure. While choosing a sandy surface to practice Running on the beach, you must keep some certain points in mind such as length, surface, and pitch.
Length: A beach with a short length is never satisfactory for the runners. A beach that can offer an undisturbed shoreline of at least one mile is ideal for running. Sometimes, beaches have cliffs, river mouth or man-made thing like jetty next to them. These beaches cannot offer nice shorelines.
Surface: It is very important for the beach to clean and risk-free. A lot of beaches are there that have long and ideal shorelines. But their surfaces are full of seashells, pebbles and other knickknacks. If the surface is not that good, then it is good to keep the shoes on while running.
Pitch: A beach that has a slope and crowned surface is never considered good for the runners. The bumpy and uneven surface of a beach can make you injured in many ways. This is why it is always better to choose flat surfaced beaches while running.
Tip #2 To Run with Shoes or Go Shoeless?
There are a lot of people who prefer to run barefoot on the beach. However, running wearing suitable and good quality shoes will also make you benefitted. But why most of the beach joggers prefer running barefoot?
- Shoeless Running
When you start running without putting on a shoe, your toes automatically grip the ground. The calves and the feet get worked out properly. As a beginner, start walking for the first few minutes and then higher your pace. Once you get a comfortable rhythm of running, you can start running faster. A running session with alternate run and walk timings can let you stay away from getting muscle pains and injuries.
- Running With Shoes
You may choose the best shoes for running on the beach or you may not. A simple and good quality sneaker will also do. If you keep a separate pair of shoes for running on the beach only, you would not have to go through a tough time cleaning sand grains from it. The show will also keep your feet protected from sharp seashells and pieces of rocks.
Tip #3 Start Working Out on Wet Sand
According to the experts, it is always good to start running or working out on the wet area of the beach first. The wet sandy area of the beach that gets kissed by the sea water gets pressed by the feet of the runners. To get them out of the sand, runners have to put more energy than usual. As a result, a good out becomes evident.
Many researchers have found that running on sand is more beneficial than running on roads. Beach running is healthier than running on the road as the runners put more energy while taking each of the steps on the sand. Eventually, they burn more calories. The experts suggest using wet sand and softer sand areas alternatively while running.
Tip #4 Don’t Stick with Your Usual Speed
Running on the beach is quite different from running on asphalt based roads or treadmills. This is why; it is good not to follow your usual pace for running. Always start with a slow run on the beach. Try to feel a good rhythm and strength to carry forward the ongoing task. You can increase your running speed once you feel the required strength and stamina for the same.
Tip #5 Ensure a Sand Workout Schedule
- Ensure the Timing
Take information about the tides. Choose the time when there is low tide in the sea. Low tide will make the wet and sandy surface ideal for walking and jogging. High tide makes the sand soft and dry for the all. But it requires more stamina for the runners to run while there is high tide.
- Check the Weather
If you are more into strength training, then you can surely go to the jogging beach on a windy day. Otherwise, a normal and calm weather is good for you to go for the run. You already know that running on sand is way better than running on roads and treadmills. To all the benefits of running and working out on a beach, you must plan your beach workout efficiently.
Plan Your Workout
When you are ready with your sand running shoes to enjoy a nice session of workout on the beach, you have to be careful about certain aspects.
Exercises on the Beach
Start running or exercising on the wet sand first. Wear sneakers or sand walking shoes to avoid possible injuries by external causes. Scout for a flat or even surface for exercising. Plan to start exercising wearing shoes and plan to finish it up barefoot.
Invest the first 3 to 5 minutes in warming up. Loosen your body to feel flexible for the workout session. Light jogging or walking is good as warm-up activities.
Plan for the next 3 to 7 minutes
Run in full speed for 30 seconds. Practice side shuffle for 30 seconds keeping the right foot as the lead. Then again, do the side shuffle for 30 seconds keeping left foot as the lead. Now run backwards for 30 seconds. Do all these activities again as a set. Keep the timing same for each of the activities.
Next 7 to 10 minutes
Maintain a medium speed while running on the beach for the next 7 to 10 minutes.
Next 10 to 12 minutes
Jumping is good in the middle of a running session on the beach. The jumping activities we are going to discuss below are all recommended to be practised. You can do 15 reps for each of these jumping activities.
- Broad Jump – Put stamina as much as possible to push you forward while jumping. Land up in a squat position softly. Do it for 15 times.
- Tuck – Jump high and try to bring your knees to your chest as close as possible. Keep the knees soft while land. Make sure your legs get kept in a straight way. Do the same for 15 times.
- Skater – Jump on the left by pushing off the right leg. Keep the keens soft while landing on left foot. Sweep your right leg back and cross in order to reach right fingertips to left toes.
12 to 15 minutes
Post these beach running workouts, try to run at a faster pace for the next 12 to 15 minutes.
15 to 17 minutes
The beach workout plan given below consists of some highly effective exercises. Practice each of them for 15 times.
- Bicycle: Sit on the beach and keep your torso back maintaining 45 degrees. Bend your elbows out to touch the behind of both your ears with your fingertips. Bring your right knee close to your chest. Move your torso to the left so that your left elbow can touch the right knee. Once you are done, switch the side. It is a single rep. Try to practice 15 reps of it.
- Upright Crunch: Sit keeping your knees bent. Keep both the hands on the sides of the hips. Keep the feet flat. Now lean back a little and raise the bent legs. Stretch the arm towards the toes keeping the palms upside. Lean the torso back while extending the legs forward. Do this until the midback touches the ground, and your shoulders and legs hang around above it.
- Walking Plank: Start with a plank on your palms. Bring down the right forearm to the ground and then left. Press on the right palm and then left. Now switch side maintaining the same system. Do this for 15 times.
17 to 23 minutes
Run maintaining a fast pace during this period of time.
23 to 27 minutes
Now warm up with a light run and walk for 3 minutes and do running on the beach at a medium speed for a few minutes.
27 to 29 minutes
Do each of the activities stated below for 30 seconds.
- Sprint: Cover a short distance on the beach by running at full speed. Run this way for 30 seconds.
- Bear Crawl: Stand straight keeping feet hip-width apart. Now crawl forward and try to keep hands in front maintaining about 3 feet of distance. Bend well so that the hips can stay high and your knees stay slightly bent.
29 to 31 minutes
Finish your workout session on the sand by light jogging or walking.
Benefits of Beach Running
If you are a beginner to the whole, then you must learn the soft sand running technique first. The experienced runners say that you can lose up to 50 percent of calories in a minute by running on dry sand than running on the field. Lesser inflammation and soreness post workout is an added advantage of running on the beach. Listed below are the major benefits of beach running.
- You get an unmatchable ambiance to workout at. The soothing sandy beach and the continuous melody of the sea waves would motivate you to do more.
- If you are running on the beach to lose weight, then you are doing it right. The soft sand running technique can let you burn more calories in the fastest way possible. Eventually, your goal to achieve a leaner body gets achieved in a faster method.
- Feet and joints get a relaxing treatment by running on the beach. If you like to run barefoot on the beach, you can do it for sure. You can also wear sand proof shoes to protect your feet from harsh sand grains.
Dos and Don’ts while Running on the Beach
- Never be unconscious while running on the wet sand. If you are planning to run barefoot, make sure you don’t trod on seashells, bottle caps and other things that can penetrate the foot or injure you.
- Apply sunscreen lotion on your skin and put on sunglasses if you are going to run on the hot hours.
- Keep a bottle of water handy.
Post Sand Workout Therapy
Swimming is the best therapy that you can avail after working out on the beach. It is easy to swim after beach workout as the water is already there. Swimming after exercising not only soothes body but mind as well. You feel refreshed and revived after floating on the sea water.
Beach running is a daily habit of many. Those who don’t live close by the beach, often try to practice the same while they are on a vacation. If you are a fitness enthusiast, then you can try the same to avail its benefits. If you have already experienced beach running and workout, then write us your experience. We are always interested to know the experiences that can excite us and others.