Gear Up for the mother of all Indian marathons, the much-hyped- Tata Mumbai Marathon 2018. Happening on 21st January 2018, Mumbai Marathon is an international marathon event which brings runners and marathoners from all over the world to the cosmopolitan city of India and runs for fitness.
If you want to know more about the Tata Mumbai Marathon then stay with us for all the details!
- Current Update: Tata Mumbai Marathon App
- Expo Info: Bib collection Date and Venue:
- Tata Mumbai Marathon Race Route
- Full Marathon Route Map and Info
- Half Marathon Route Map and Info
- Tata Mumbai Marathon Charity Run - Timed 10K
- Basic FAQs
- About Tata Mumbai Marathon
- Information of Races: Types, Registration, & Eligibility
- How to Prepare for Marathon
- Mumbai Marathon Trivia
Current Update: Tata Mumbai Marathon App
To make it convenient for the runners and spectators alike, you can now download the Tata Mumbai Marathon App.
To download the app, Click HERE
Feature Highlights of the Tata Marathon App:
- You can track the runners on race day, view their split timings, get their estimated finish time, get notified when the runner crosses key milestone.
- View live leaderboard during the event, results post-race
- Stay connected to the event through Social Media.
- Access to route Maps
Other Features Like
- Nearby places of interest
- Weather updates
- Charity organizations
- Partner information
Expo Info: Bib collection Date and Venue:
Upon confirmation of your registration, you are required to come to the Get Active Expo in Mumbai scheduled from 17 - 20 January 2018 in order to collect their running number bibs. No running number will be posted to individual mailing addresses.
All runners must collect their BIB from 'Get Active Pro' at the venue. The address for the venue is -
MMRDA Ground Plot no - 18
G Block, Opposite Bank of Baroda,
Next to BKC One Building
Bandra Kurla Complex
Bandra (East), Mumbai
The timings are:
- Thursday, 18th Jan 2018: From 10:30 am to 7:00 pm
- Friday, 19th Jan 2018: From 10:30 am to 7:00 pm
- Saturday, 20th Jan 2018: From 10:30 am to 5:00 pm
What You Need To Carry
Runners will need to carry:
- Web or email confirmation
- Original proof of identity (Driving License, Passport, PAN card, Aadhar Card, Election Card, School/College Identity Card)
Tata Mumbai Marathon Race Route
Tata Mumbai Marathon is considered to amongst the top ten marathons in the world. One of the reasons for its popularity is the marathon route. The full marathon (42.195km) would take a complete round of the route after starting from Azad Maidan at CSMT while runners in the Half Marathon (21.097km) would run between Worli Dairy to CSMT.
Full Marathon Route Map and Info
Distance: 42.195 km
Start Time (Amateurs): 05:40 am
Start Time (Elite): 07:10 am
Start Point: CSMT
End Point: CSMT
The TATA Mumbai Marathon 2018 will witness a minor change in route for three types of races owing to construction work on the Mumbai Metro 3 line.
The change has been introduced on DN Road near Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Terminus (CSMT).
“Instead of taking a left from Flora Fountain to head to CSMT, they would take the earlier road to head to CSMT. This is the road which goes towards Fashion Street. These changes would be for the routes of half marathon and for the amateur race. For the elite athletes' race, they would take a different lane to go to CSMT,” an official from the marathon arrangement team said. (via Indian Express)
The full marathon route is as follows -
Half Marathon Route Map and Info
Distance: 21.097 km
Start Time: 05:40 am
Start Point: Worli Dairy
End Point: CSMT
The route map for half marathon is as follows:
Dream Run (6K)
Distance: 6 km approx
Start Time: 08:20 am
Start Point: CSMT
End Point: Opposite to Metro
The map for dream run is as follows:
Tata Mumbai Marathon Charity Run - Timed 10K
Distance: 10 km approx
Start Time: 06:10 am
Start Point: CSMT
End Point: CSMT
The Mumbai Marathon is India’s largest charity platform for non-profit organizations to raise funds. NGOs represent causes such as arts, culture and sports, civic and community development, disability, education, environment and wildlife, health, human rights, social services, vocational training, and women, children and the aged. United Way, Mumbai is the Event's official Philanthropy Partner and Organizations can register with them.
Over ₹119 Crores (USD 29 million) has been raised from 2004 to 2017.
Timed 10K Run, is the newly introduced charity run. The details are as follows:
- These charity running places are available for a donation (over and above the applicable registration fee) with the Event’s official Philanthropy Partner, United Way Mumbai.
- The contribution requested from the applicant will be a minimum of INR 9000.
- The amount will be disbursed to the chosen NGO registered with the Philanthropy Partner for the Event, chosen by the applicant.
- Charity running places can be availed by applicants on first come first served basis. More details can be found on the Timed 10K page of Procamrunning.
Q. When is the Tata Mumbai Marathon 2018?
21st January 2018
Q. Can I register on the day of the event?
No registrations will be accepted on the main race day.
Q. How will my entry acceptance be intimated to me?
On successful completion of registration, participants will receive an email confirming their registration.
Q. Can I pick-up my race kit on the same day as the race?
Race kits will NOT be provided to runners on the day of the race.
Q. Where is the venue for bib distribution?
The venue is Get Active Expo in Mumbai, from 17 - 20 January 2018. The details for the same are given above.
Q. Once applied can I cancel my entry and get a refund?
Refund requests will NOT be entertained once registration has been completed.
Q. Can I change my race category once I have applied/my entry is confirmed?
No, category change requests will be entertained. Re-registration will be required to change a race category.
Q. Can I transfer my registration to another person?
No transfer of registrations will be permitted.
Q. Can I authorize another person to pick up my race packet?
Yes, the authorized person will be required to produce the participant's photo id and an authorization letter to collect the race kit.
Q. Is the Tata Mumbai Marathon a road race or a trail race?
The Tata Mumbai Marathon is a road race.
About Tata Mumbai Marathon
Formally known as Standard Chartered Mumbai Marathon, Tata Mumbai Marathon is an annual international marathon hosted in Mumbai, India. It is held on the third Sunday of January every year and is the largest marathon in Asia as well as the largest mass participation sporting event on the continent with over 42,000 runners participating in Jan 2017. And not only that, it is the richest race in India with a prize pool of $405,000!
The marathon event has undergone timely innovations and enhancements over the years which have played in the favor of its popularity. These tweaks have contributed tremendously to the upswing of the worldwide status of the Tata Mumbai Marathon.
Mumbai Marathon is an event where people from different walks of life participate including Bollywood celebrities, sports personalities, business tycoons, and amateur athletes. It also has its own fundraising platform managed by United Way Mumbai. The platform has over the years has managed to raise Rs 196 crore with the help of 512 NGOs, making it one of the largest philanthropic sporting events of the country.
NGOs supporting various causes and issues have registered themselves with the United Way Mumbai. If you wish to support any of these just choose the NGO and proceed as directed. In case, if there is any specific NGO you wish to support and is not in the list then you can urge them to register themselves.
Tata Mumbai Marathon has a high-profile list of sponsors and partners too. Big names like Tata, Star Sports, Basics, and NEX are a few names to mention.
Information of Races: Types, Registration, & Eligibility
The Tata Mumbai Marathon has six different race categories:
- Full Marathon (42.194 Km)
- Half Marathon (21.097 Km)
- Dream Run (6 Km)
- Senior Citizens Race (4.3 Km)
- Champions with Disability category (2.4 Km)
- Timed 10K run (Newly added)
The registrations for the Mumbai Marathon are closed as of 30 Nov 2017. The application fee of the marathon (inclusive of GST 18 percent) was:
- Domestic applicants: Rs. 1700 (GST inclusive)
- Overseas applicants: USD 50 (GST inclusive)
For those wanting to check their application status, they can do so on the Procamrunning page.
The minimum eligibility age for the races are:
- Full Marathon: 18 years and above
- Half Marathon: 18 years and above
- Timed 10 K Run: 15 years and above
- Dream Run (6 Km): 12 years and above
- Senior Citizens Run: 60 years and above
- Champions with Disability: 12 years and above
How to Prepare for Marathon
If you have registered for the Mumbai Marathon already and wondering now what? Then it’s a normal feeling. Marathon running is a challenge in itself and to overcome its difficulties you have to undergo some training and preparation.
Here’s how you can train yourself for the run.
Find the Right Training Plan
You can't start running the whole distance right away so it's important to find the right marathon training plan that helps you gradually build up your mileage and endurance while incorporating enough rest to prevent overuse injuries.
Fueling the Right Way
Hunger is one of the foremost feelings you shall feel after running a long-distance race. But avoid gorging on any kind of food. Eating the right food will boost your running. Create a good diet chart with proper meal times. Up to 30-minutes after a hard training run when the body is best able to replenish and utilize the carbohydrates and protein that were used during exercise.
Advanced marathoners should train to win the marathon while the novice runners should focus on finishing the race and having a good experience. However, set a plan for your pacing so that you don’t run too fast and exert too much energy in the early stage of the race.
Be prepared to meet these 12 types of runners in a marathon.
Build your confidence during the training period and be prepared to face the worst. Study the race course prior to the event so that you have a fair idea on how to deal with the route obstacles. Adequate mental preparation instills confidence, which will help you to relax more before and during the race.
Check out these best workout apps for runners.
Get the Right Equipment
Selecting the right running shoe is very important. Cushioning and flexibility are the two key features to consider while picking up a running shoe. Long distance runners should opt for extra cushioning; it will boost your run and help to go the extra mile. Your running garments should be made of moisture wicking and perforated fabric to ensure faster sweat dry. Good ventilation and air flow mapping in the right zones are required for effective heat loss and increased air flow. You can also wear compression sports garments to increase agility and optimize your performance.
Learn how to recover post marathon.
Mumbai Marathon Trivia
- The Mumbai Marathon course record of 2:24:33 set in 2013 by the women's winner Valentine Kipketer, Kenya, was the fastest time ever run a marathon in India in the women's marathon category.
- In 2016, Gideon Kipketer broke the men's marathon record, completing the race in 2:08:35.
- The Mumbai Marathon course record by Indians is held by Nitender Singh Rawat in 2016 with a timing of 02:15:48 in the men's category and in the women's category it is held by OP Jaisha with a timing of 02:37:29
- The first race in 2004 had 22,000 participants, 2007 had 30,000 people running and the last 2017 edition hosted 42,000 runners
- Mumbai Marathon was the youngest marathon to be awarded the "Flame of the Marathon". It was flown in from Greece by Maria Polyzou, Greek Marathon Champion and Director of the Museum of Marathon Runs. The flame was carried by sports luminaries, celebrities, sponsors/partners and dignitaries from the government in a flame relay to the Hutatma Chowk in Fountain, Mumbai.
- The race director of Mumbai Marathon is the legendary London marathon winner and also the secretary of AIMS (Association of International Marathons and Distance Races) Mr. Hugh Jones.
- The International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) elevated the race to an IAAF Gold Label Road Race in 2010.
- Mumbai Marathon was included as one of the legs of "The Greatest Race on Earth" in 2005. Singapore Marathon, the Nairobi Marathon, and the Hong Kong Marathon were the other three legs of this four-marathon race.
- John Abraham, the Bollywood actor is the face of Tata Mumbai Marathon
Mumbai is a big, melting pot of a city. A city that's home to dreamers, and hard-workers, starlets and gangsters, artists and fisherfolk and millionaires and lots and lots of people. The Mumbai Marathon is a great leveler where the rich and the famous matching strides with the ordinary people of this great city.
With that being said, let’s make some memories at the Tata Mumbai Marathon on 21st January 2018.